Saturday, February 23, 2013

Aunt Jenny


This was a beautiful writing that hit home with me. My mother works with the handicap and at times when i was younger i would gotoher job and just observe them. I'v never had a one on one experience with a mentally ill person until my big brother reached 19. At 19 my brother was dignosed with schizophrenia meaning he had multiple personalities. I guess some may say this is diffrent than dealing with a person that has down syndrome but for me it's the same because society looks at them diffrent. My brother wasn't always this way, growing up with him was like living with a comedian. He always made jokes goofed around, caused trouble, was even known as a big player in high school. He had aspired to be a rapper and because he was very smart he was really good at it,i was a fan. My brother and i was as close as could be only a year apart he always kept me laughing , even though im younger, i'v always been over protective of him. I started noticing a change in him around 18 he would be zoned out of space and say really crazy random things. One day my bother was acting very paranoid and said he was hearing things, this scared me and my older sister so wetook him to the hospitol. When we took him there he started spazing out saying that me and my eldest sister were't his sisters that he didnt even know who we were. This hurt me so much to see him like this. The doctors then shipped him off to a mental institution and it killed me to see him inside of there. Whenever my family and i would visit him he would shout and yell for us to stay or take him with us. After being put in and out of mental institutions my brother finally got better. With him taking his meds he dont spaze out anymore i wish i could say he was back to how he used to be but at least he is better. Later on i came to find out someone druged him and this could have been the most likly reason for everything. Many people on the outside look at mentally ill people as if there disgusting or that they are beneath people that dont have a mental illness. Yet it isnt their fualt that they are like that some ( like my brother) knows something isnt right in their head and try despertly to stop it but its something they cant control. Doug having schizophrenia doesnt make me love him any less if anything it makes me appriciate him even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment